As early as the year 1111, the Abbey of Citeaux received lands from Côte d’Or and the edges of the Vouge, on which Pinot Noir was planted. It is then that the notion of “terroir” appears. The Clos, for its part, was constituted and took its name around 1330, when the monks considered it necessary to surround it with walls. It is located not far from the sources of the Vouge, on a gently sloping hill exposed to the east. Its terroir is very inhomogeneous, gravelly and stony on the upper part, and becomes more clayey in the lower part. The Clos de Vougeot is one of the largest Grands Crus with 52 ha and 80 owners. Several climates are used to locate it. Domaine Jean-Marc Millot is located in the “Grand Maupertui”, not far from the Château under the Grand Echézeaux plot.